Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day, Schmathers Day

Ya know, Father's Day is kinda pointless...this year anyhow.  My husband is gone off to be a dad to his soldiers and my own dad passed away years ago.  All my friends, who are dads themselves and are like dads to my kids are gone too.  So I am boycotting this year. Booooo on Fathers Day.

I am the dad this year.  Someone buy me a Fathers Day card.  After all, isn't it the dads job to teach the sons about penises?  Oh no, that's right, its my job.  The dad is supposed to teach the son about kissing girls, oh no, me again.

But then again, I can't be the one who after a long day at work, lays on the floor and lets the kids use me as a jungle gym.  And I'm not the one who comes home after work and has to find the kids hiding in the coat closet by singing "I like bread and butter, I like toast and jam..." and listening for the giggles.  I don't teach rock climbing.  I don't take pictures and develop them myself.  I don't help other countries learn to help themselves.  And I don't help everyone else before myself...ok, wait, I totally do *that lol.

So maybe I won't boycott.  April taught me "Don't hate, participate"...so I will.  Happy Fathers Day to my Dad, to my husband, to my friends.  And Happy Father's Day to my girlfriends... Taylor, Brianna, Brandi, Amy, Tam, Tina, Jana, Renee, Brittany, Beth, Shelley, Danielle...to all of you who hold it down for the kids while their dads away.  Happy Father's Day to my sister who was a dad and a mom to my favorite Katie.  Happy Father's Day to Rachel who is ABSOLUTELY not only my kids second mom, but also their dad too!  Happy Father's Day to my MIL who raised the BEST dad a girl could want as her baby daddy. <3  And happy Fathers Day to my mom who continues to show us all the ways our own dad shaped us.

I guess Father's Day isn't so bad afterall...


Happy Father's Day to my very own G.I. Jo <3

2 comments:

From Laura

Just a note to thank you for reading and laughing with me at the ones who make my life what it is!